OPG Seminar professional development
Instructors: Prof.dr. Dirk Jan Wolffram, Dr. Hanneke Hoekstra RU Groningen
Date and Time: Friday, January 29, 2021, 1-4 PM
Mode: Zoom meeting
For PhD students in their third year: Science communication and professional developmentThe seminars in year 3 are devoted to the individual application and assessment of disciplinarity and interdisciplinarity, theories and concepts, and methods and techniques as well as science communication and professional development.
Active participation in, and contribution to the organization of a seminar is mandatory for 3rd year PhDs, attendance and participation is open for all PhDs and RMA-students. PhD-students attend at least 5 seminars in the course of their program.
Science communication and professional development
Requirements and credits
- PhD-students attend at least 5 seminars in the course of their program. This participation is not rewarded with credits
- Report: students can write a 500 word report on the seminar, to be published on the website of the OPG. Writing a report is rewarded with 1 EC.
Participants need to register at firstname.lastname@example.org. There is a limit of 15 participants; third year PhD-students have priority. After registering, you will receive a Zoom link.
- https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-07652-y (Why A Postdoc May Not Advance Your Career)
- Welk gras is groener. Persoonlijke verhalen van gepromoveerden over hun loopbanen binnen en buiten de wetenschap (PDF provided upon registration)
- Discover the information needed to write a successful Veni-application. What are your findings?
- Your CV
- A (mock) motivation for a job application. Both documents should be send to the moderators of the seminar two days prior to the seminar via: J.Hoekstra@rug.nl
Outline seminar: Academia: should I stay or go?
13:00-13.15 Science as Vocation? Introduction by Prof.dr. Dirk Jan Wolffram
13.15-13.35 Laurien Crump: ‘How to gain a Veni Grant’
13.35-13.50 Discussion and Questions
14.00-14.20 Erie Tanja: From Political History to Policy Making. The Blessings of A Career Outside Academia
14.20-14.35 Discussion and Questions
14.45- 15.00 Margit van der Steen, ‘Careers of OPG Alumni’
15.15-15.45 How to Communicate Your Political Expertise as an Asset for Future Positions: CV/Letter/Social Media/Blog
15.45-16.00 Round up