- This event has passed.
Kick-off event: Recent Developments in Nationalism Studies: Who is the New Benedict Anderson?
April 17 @ 15:15 - 17:00
Leiden University Nationalism Network
Nationalism is on the rise. Nationalist politicians are in power in countries like Hungary, Russia, India, Philippines and Venezuela. With Brexit and the election of Donald Trump nationalism has also become a prominent ideology in the most important powers in the Western world. National identity and nation-building are key issues in political debates all over the world, including the Netherlands
Nationalism has a long history and has been studied by a large number of experts from a broad range of disciplines, also within our own university. The Leiden University Nationalism Network now aims to bring these scholars together to discuss recent developments in the field of nationalism studies. The network has two basic objectives:
- Bring staff members (both junior and senior) across departments together to discuss new research trends by organizing 3-4 lectures/meetings per year.
- Share events related to the study of nationalism organized at Leiden University.
Please let us know if you would like to be on our mailing list, or if you have suggestions for who should be invited to become member of the network as well.
Join our Kick-off event!
What are the major new studies on nationalism? On Tuesday 17 April five scholars will pitch their favourite path-breaking studies in brief presentations of 8-10 minutes each:
- Claire Weeda (History; Europe 1000-1800): The Roots of Nationalism
- Eric Storm (History: Political Culture and National Identities): Methodological Nationalism
- Erik-Jan Zürcher (LIAS: Middle Eastern Studies) Nationalism & Empire
- Gerry van Klinken (KITLV/South-East Asian Studies UvA) Nationalism & Religion
- André Gerrits (History: International Studies and Global Politics) Nationalism & International Relations
For more info please contact Eric Storm: email@example.com
Dr. Eric Storm | Lecturer in European History | Institute for History | Leiden University | PO Box 9515 | 2300 RA Leiden | The Netherlands |http://www.hum.leiden.edu/history/staff/storm.html#contact | +31 71 527 2721